SCNA Board 1/11/22
Present: Dennis, Gabe, Jane, Jen, Milo
- Traffic Dept: 9/10/21 & subsequent meetings lead us to hope that:
- Playground/WSN crosswalks plan will occur including reflective paint.
- Rubber speed bumps may be approved for Common & side streets.
- Rerouting 1A via legislative action to Wash St/Bridge St Ext.
- Bridge St. neighborhood association also supports
- NIAC: Gabe attended 1/8/21 meeting & Dennis 1/12/22. Minutes distributed.
- Structural: Working on by laws review & nominating committee (Gabe/Dennis).
- Participation: Need for additional active volunteers as well as Board members.
Total Funds: $27,878
- Checking: $12,967
- Savings: $5,014
- Arch: $9,897
- Expenses $1,857:
- Holiday Concert: Donations to Bridge @ 211 ($200) & Pantry ($150)
- Holiday Concert: Merrimack Valley Band ($750)
- Winter Brunch: Hawthorne Deposit ($500)
- Miscellaneous: Staples ($31) & PO Box renewal ($226)
- Expenses Anticipated: $2,500
- Arch: Landscaping deposit ($250) & painting deposit ($250)
- Membership: Creative Ink mailer to Common Neighbors ($2,000)
- Donations $4,624:
- Fiesta Shows ($4,118)
- Concert ($506)
2022 Memberships 3: (2) Family, (1) Individual = $165
Common Updates & Issues
- Completed: City removed Holiday Tree & Wreaths – thanks!
- Underway: Sewer repair/replace in Pleasant St area to complete in Jan.
- Open: Repair/remove baluster & graffiti on Hawthorne side & Bandstand.
- Common & Neighborhood Enhancements: Jenn
- ADA Benches: 4 new benches approved & surfacing done. Install date?
- Lighting: SHC asked for fixtures/bulbs to be similar. Work has begun.
- Lawn: Overall refresh needed including possible path expansion. Spring?
- Bandstand: Phase 2 scheduled for summer – may include flower beds
Events + Website
- Holiday Concert: Held on Dec 19 th at Bridge@211 – a great success!
- Benefited Salem Pantry, The Bridge @211 & SCNA
- Winter Brunch: At Hawthorne on 2/13 from 11 to 2 (date may change)
- Speakers: Newly Elected Councilors Merkel & Watson-Felt
- Logistics: Menu & pricing done – may merge with Annual
- Annual Meeting: Exploring with Hawthorne due to COVID restrictions
- Visit www.salemcommon.org/events
- Newsletter: 2021 Accomplishments & 2022 plans – looks great! Sent Jan 10
Washington Arch and Preservation
- City: SHC/Park & Rec approved sign, brick pad & landscaping.
- Brick pad including irrigation & sign install: Completed!
- Thank you & update on progress note sent to donors.
- Website section on Arch given a fresh update – thanks Milo!
- Includes credit for Leslie Rendell for co-creating Arch carvings
- Landscaping to occur in spring 2022 as well as fresh painting.
- Gabe pursuing painting & Jane landscaping options.
- Grants: CPC turned down on 1/11. Suggested go to Arts Council. Gabe
- Veterans: Working with Kim Emerling on incorporating Arch into Muster.
- Salem TV: Arch Restoration interview planned for Feb 15 th.
- Bricks R Us: Arch Memorial brick samples have arrived for review.
- Essex Heritage: Jane providing documentation for receipt of $2,000 grant.
- PEM: Reignite collaboration in 2022. Dennis sent update to Bob Monk.
Next Board Meeting: February 8 th , 2022, at 7:30. Location: TBD