SCNA Board 1/14/20
Present: Jane Carroll, Gabe Ciociola, Dennis Maroney, Milo Martinez, Lynn Murray, Jenn Santo
The meeting was called to order at 7:35 pm.
The Holiday Tree & decorated lampposts were a big success. Our thanks to Park Services for removing the Tree along with the lampposts’ garland & wreaths. Next year, Park Services is requested to provide stronger cables to secure the tree. Twice during the month that the tree was up, cables snapped, and the tree slid across the bandstand floor resulting in loss of many decorations but fortunately no injuries.
There has been positive feedback from our meeting with HSI and Salem Preservation Planning. These groups would like to meet with us in early 2020. Lynn will follow up with Patti at 1/17 Preservation Partner meeting as well as discuss City funding for Washington Arch restoration.
The Common Fence Restoration is moving ahead with sections by Hawthorne and Washington Square East now removed & re-installation planned for spring. Recommended seasonal jersey barriers for snow protection when reinstalled.
Renovations to the Bandstand per Planning Department for both Phase I (hardscaping, etc.) & Phase II restorations now to occur in mid- 2020.
The No Smoking parks ordinance is still in Committee with the no smoking signs also pending approval. When the signs are installed, they hopefully will apply to the whole Common and not just for the 50-foot perimeter around the playground.
Great mid-winter Common cleanup by Park services team was much appreciated.
The removal and storage of the orangemovie lights on Common has been requested by one individual who lives near the Common. The board agrees that theses lights are an attractive seasonal addition but have questions on maintenance. There has been no City response on this issue as yet.
The next NIAC meeting is scheduled for 2/12. NIAC 12/11 information circulated.
New programs from the City:
- Solarize MA Plus. Program underway. It was decided that due to timing we will include this information in our next Newsletter but there will not be a community meeting on it before it expires in March.
- Imagine Salem 400. Whitney Leese to join us for an update at February meeting.
- Salem Signature Parks. Impact on Common of this large City initiative is TBD.
- Transportation Plan. This plan was just announced so we will discuss at our next meeting.
The Holiday Concert was a big success – thanks all especially Milo & Lynn. The proceeds from the donation jar and the bake sale were $480. Half of these proceeds will be given to the Bridge at 211 who have been an outstanding long-time partner for this well received event.
Upcoming Events. Sunday winter brunch at noon the Hawthorne on February 9th. Annual Meeting will also be at the Hawthorne on Thursday March 26that 7 PM.
Speakers: Councilor Ty Hapworth at brunch & Mayor Driscoll at Annual Meeting.
Membership Renewal Drive: We concluded 2019 with 120 members. Jane is working on a mailer program and information cards targeting members and non-members from Facebook & Newsletter sources. Jane will also work with Milo to come up with a design for new banners to use at events.
A common design will be used across these various mediums.
Newsletter Update. Jen will send out this month highlighting events & Annual Meeting – thanks Jen!
Annual Meeting: Gabe is creating a nominating committee for the Annual Meeting with a goal of attracting participants from all aspects of the Common neighborhood.
Update on Washington Arch Project:
- Explanatory sign delayed until spring to ensure accuracy of text & images.
- Positive discussions held with PEM regarding their participation.
- Attachment outlines full costs of Arch Restoration including SCNA donations
- Discussions with David Knowlton, City’s Engineer’s Office, regarding the City providing brick pad for base of Arch per earlier agreement with Jason Silva.
- Gabe & Milo will update the original Arch submission to Historical Commission.
- Reaching out to NPS, MA National Guard & Hawthorne Hotel to be contributors to the Arch effort.
Gabe presented the estimate for the swags to be made by a local firm. Dennis and Gabe will be meeting with Bob Monk of the PEM to discuss the commitment of the PEM to undertake and fund this work. Lynn reminded the board of the City’s commitment, made by Jason Silva, to fund the hardscaping of the arch and to build a concrete pad.
- Total Funds: $22,955.02
- Checking $9852.53
New Memberships: $62.51
- 1 family, 1 individual
- Proceeds from Kid’s Fun Fest: $3288
- Donations from Holiday Concert/Bake Sale: $480
Incurred Expenses: $1,685.06
- Jenn Santo – Xmas decorations $105.93
- Hawthorne Hotel – SCNA brunch $300.00
- Milo Martinez – Holiday Concert $113.13
- Holiday Concert Band (MVCB) $750.00
- Mailbox Renewal $176.00
- Donation to Bridge 211 $240
Estimated Membership/Events Expenses:
- Q1 2020:
- Winter Brunch: $300
- Annual Meeting: $200
- Movie Night: $100
- Event Post Cards: $200
- Membership Mailings: $1,000
- Q2 2020:
- Annual Muster: $100
- Kentucky Derby Party: $1,000
- Q3 2020
- 4thof July Reading of Declaration: $100
- Movie Nights on Common: $100
- Concerts on Common: $1,500
- Lawn Party on Common: $1,000
- Yard Sale on Common: $200
- Q4 2020
- Kids Fest: $200
- Holiday Concert: $850
Arch Fund $10,095.24
Common Committee Report
Jenn secured the contract with the Hawthorne Hotel for the upcoming brunch targeted for 45 attendees. The menu selected is moderately priced and appropriate for such an event. As a member benefit, the brunch price will be $25 and $35 for non-members. If a non-member attendee signs up for membership at the brunch, they will be given the member price of $25.
Lynn reported that a staff member/trainer from B&S Fitness was having a client use one of the park benches as a piece of exercise equipment. This bench was donated by a Salem family in memory of their son. Jenn will follow up with Trish O’Brien to address this issue.
Events Committee Report
Milo is working hard to get the word out about the brunch. It was suggested that the brunch speaker, Ty Hapworth be requested to post the event on this website. Ward Two Councilor Christine Madore will also be invited to the event. The Salem Witch Museum will host “Movie Night” which is free to SCNA members. Drinks and popcorn will be on sale. The movie selection is TBD but the date is Friday night March 3rd.
The meeting adjourned at 9:10 pm
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 11th at 7:30pm, Whitney Leese will be the featured speaker at that meeting.