SCNA Board 12/14/21
Present: Dennis, Gabe, Jane, Jen, Jenn, Milo
- 9/10/21 & subsequent meetings with Traffic Dept lead us to hope that:
- WSN crosswalks upgrade in early spring including reflective paint.
- If all goes well, implement something similar in Playground area.
- Rubber speed bumps may be approved for Common & side streets.
- Rerouting 1A via legislative action to Wash St/Bridge St Ext.
- Bridge St. neighborhood association also supports
- NIAC: 11/10 with Chief Lucas & Traffic Head Kucharsky. Gabe circulated update.
- Participation: Need for additional active volunteers as well as Board members.
Total Funds: $24,211
- Checking: $9,014
- Savings: $5,301
- Arch: $9,896
- Expenses $1,753:
- Accounting: MA Taxes Prep by accountant Hamlin ($503)
- Winter Brunch: Hawthorne Deposit ($500)
- Holiday Concert: Northshore Band ($750)
- Expenses Anticipated: $400
- Arch: Landscaping deposit ($250)
- SCNA Donation To: Salem Food Pantry ($150)
- Donations Anticipated:
- Essex Heritage Arch ($2,000)
- Fiesta (TBD)
Common Updates & Issues
- Completed: Lawn cleanup. Removal of raised benches & jersey barriers.
- Underway: Sewer repair/replace in Pleasant St area to complete in Dec.
- Open: Playground Swing & Surface Repairs. Repair/remove baluster &graffiti on Hawthorne side. Tire ruts repairs. Side streets leaves removal.
- Common & Neighborhood Enhancements: Jenn
- ADA Benches: 4 new benches approved & surfacing done. Install date?
- Fence Restoration: 16 WSN sections reinstalled week of 11/15. Complete.
- Lighting: SHC asked for fixtures/bulbs to be similar. Waiting on Electrician.
- Lawn: Overall refresh needed including possible path expansion.
- Bandstand: Phase 2 scheduled for summer – may include flower beds.
Events + Website
- Holiday Decorating & Tree Lighting On 11/28 – fun and a great success!
- Thanks to donors: Cornell Family, Witch Museum & Coffee Time
- Holiday Concert: Occurs Sunday, Dec 19 th at Bridge@211 from 3-5 PM
- Musical group, flyers & bake good sale all in place
- Winter Brunch: At Hawthorne on 2/13 from 11 to 2
- Speakers: Newly Elected Councilors Merkel & Watson-Felt
- Flyer: Agreed upon pricing for members & non-members needed
- Annual Meeting: Need to confirm speaker, nominations, date & location
- Newsletter: Decorating recap, Arch upgrades, Concert & Brunch reminders
Washington Arch and Preservation
- City: SHC/Park & Rec approved sign, brick pad & landscaping.
- Brick pad including irrigation & sign install: December completion.
- Landscaping to occur in spring 2022 as well as fresh painting.
- Thank you & update on progress note to donors.
- Salem TV: Arch Restoration story now planning to film in January.
- Essex Heritage: Jane providing documentation for receipt of $2,000 grant.
- Arch Issue Resolution: Leslie Rendell co-creator of 1976 carvings?
- Gabe to retain historian Jen Ratliff to develop full historical report.
- SCNA website to be updated based on report’s findings.
- PEM: Reignite collaboration in 2022.
Next Board Meeting: January 11 th , 2022, at 7:30. Location: TBD