SCNA Board 11/9/21
Present: Dennis, Gabe, Jane, Jen, Jenn, Milo
- Traffic: Since 9/10 meeting w/Traffic Dept, Gabe has not heard back. Hoping that:
- Playground/WSN crosswalks plan will happen including reflective paint
- Rubber speed bumps will be in place around Common & side streets
- Re-routing 1A via legislative action to Bridge St. Ext./BSNNA also supports.
- Haunted Happenings was successful and fun for all ages. Update on City support:
- Ellen Talkowsky & her team met their commitments on dedicated trash crews, noise monitoring & vendor management throughout the event.
- Thanks to Chief Miller’s team for hard work on safety, ticketing & towing.
- Common repair process has begun with cleaning the paths, raking out all tire ruts & regrading followed by adding loam & seed to impacted areas.
- Removal of Info Booth & jersey barriers scheduled for week of 11/15.
- NIAC: 11/10 meeting w/Seth Lattrell Harbor Planner – presentation distributed.
- Participation: Need for additional active volunteers as well as Board members.
- Debate: SCNA sponsored – along with LWV & Chamber – Mayoral Forum on 10/26
- Facebook: SCNA reissuing policy which bans personal attacks, political issues, etc.
Total Funds: $24,734
- Checking: $10,078
- Savings: $5,012
- Arch: $9,644
- Expenses $1,570:
- Fun Fest: Crafts ($300); Candy ($109); Printing ($51)
- Donations: Historic Salem Ad ($200); Salem Music Ad ($100)
- Chamber Debates Sponsorship ($500)
- Technical: Namecheap SSA Certificate ($60)
- Arch: Incurred sign & design costs = $1,757.
- $250 for landscaping.
- Donations $3,990:
- Events: Yard Sale ($167) & Kid Fest ($823)
- Arch & Events Donation: $3,000 (anonymous)
- SCNA Mass Taxes: Jane has completed with accountant Hamlin.
- SCNA Insurance: Coverages being reviewed by Gabe & Dennis
Membership (71) (1) Sponsor, (7) Business, (29) Family, (34) Individual
Jane to explore costs of sending mailers to prospective members
Common Updates & Issues
- Swing & Surface Repairs: 2 new holes found – following up with DPS.
- Benches: SHC approved 4 new ADA benches & relocation of others. Date?
- Benches w/raised dust pads on WSN side need SHC review & repair.
- Fence Restoration: 16 WSN sections reinstall scheduled for week of 11/15.
- Adult Workout Stations: Gabe suggestion – he will explore with Park & Rec.
- Lighting: SHC has requested fixtures/bulbs similarity w/Electrician. Date?
- Fall Cleanup: Urgently needed before snows come. Date?
- Lawn: Beyond repairs, the overall condition warrants a full spring refresh.
Events + Website
- Kids Fun Fest: A great success! Thanks to Milo & all who helped.
- Holiday Decorating: Occurs Sunday, Nov 28 th from 11 AM to 1 PM
- Donations: Cornell Family (tree) & Witch Museum (wreaths)/Jenn
- Flyer: Request from Adele/Milo
- Coffee: Donation from Coffee Time/Dennis
- Holiday Concert: Occurs Sunday, Dec 9 th Bridge@211 from 3-5 PM
- Musical group confirmation/Milo
- Flyer: Request to Adele/Milo
- Bake sale & food donations to Salem Pantry/Jen
- Winter Brunch: At Hawthorne on 2/13 from 11 to 2 – thanks Jenn
- Speakers: Newly Elected Councilors Merkel & Watson-Felt
- Newsletter: Fun Fest recap; HH recap; Decorating, Concert & Brunch events
Washington Arch and Preservation
- City: SHC/Park & Rec approved sign, brick pad & landscaping.
- Brick pad w/rose inlay & sign work starting 11/15 & complete 12/1.
- Salem TV: Arch Restoration story now planning to film in December.
- Essex Heritage: Jane pursuing SCNA receiving funds from $2,000 grant.
- Carving Credit: Leslie Rendell as co-creator of 1976 carvings under review.
- PEM: Reignite collaboration.
Next Board Meeting: December 14 th , 2021, at 7:30. Location: TBD