SCNA Board 9/8/20
Jane Carroll, Gabe Ciociola, Jen Hagar, Dennis Maroney, Milo Martinez, Erin Murphy, Lynn Murray, Jenn Santo
The meeting was called to order at 7:30.
- Reviewing painting a crosswalk at Narbonne House on Essex Street with Dave Knowlton.
- NIAC meeting on 9/9/20 to be covered by Gabe. Update: minutes distributed.
- Still waiting to hear on proposed Stop Sign at WSE/Andrews St. intersection.
- SCNA remains supportive of City’s plans to increase mask signage, to use mask ambassadors, and to increase testing. Update: Halloween updates coming.
- Evidence of stickers & graffiti on the Common continue to be reported to the SPD.
- Opportunities for new landscaping at Bandstand & Arch being explored.
Friends of the Salem Common Update (Group)
Friends of Salem Common (FOSC) has prepared a Conditions Report – but not a Master Plan – & distributed it to City & elected officials. The report does not address the Playground, the Common Fence, the Bandstand or the Arch. The report’s focus was on Lighting, Soil, Trees & Benches – all areas that the SCNA is already engaging on with the City & the appropriate Commissioners. The report listed recommendations in these areas without citing funding.
Update: Erin at Preservation Partners meeting explained that we are two different orgs.
Common Updates & Issues
- Three non-smoking signs are to be installed at Playground, Bandstand & Arch.
- The locking mechanism for the bulkhead is being replaced via warranty.
- Tree removals on hold until community discussion.
- SCNA provided design for Bandstand landscaping which is now in the review process.
- Paint on basketball court is peeling badly and the uneven surfacing is causing water to pool.
- Mushroom growth & ant infestation continues to spread. Jenn has reached out to Madore.
- Jenn should be notified about any Common-related issues or post them to SeeClickFix site.
Holiday Common Decorating:
- Jenn to contact T. O’Donnell & B. Michaud about contributions of tree, swags, and wreaths.
- SCNA will purchase new bows.
- We are targeting the event for the Sunday after Thanksgiving: 11/29/20.
- Lets make it a fun community event as always that volunteers will enjoy participating in.
- Great recent newsletter Jen!
- Possible topics for the next newsletter could include Mask Patrol, testing, Arch story, landscaping projects and Salem house tour going virtual this year.
Washington Arch Restoration:
- Explanatory sign text/graphics approved by Patti Kelleher & Jen Ratliff. Well done Erin!
- PEM collaboration meeting with Steven Mallory. Update: Successful meeting on 9/14.
- Landscaping design along with updated rendering are in the review process.
- The City continues to engage on the brick pad and new landscaping.
- Ray Jodoin of City has met with Plants & Pleasantries the proposed landscaper.
- New activity: $75.00(1 family and 1 individual)
- Total: 41 including 12 family members & 5 businesses
- Facebook: Joining SCNA FB group & membership procedures under review.
Total Funds: $23,198.94
- Checking: $10,337.81
- Savings: $3,009.25
- Arch Fund: $9,851.88
Incurred Expenses: $100.00
- The Maker’s Guild (check #1566)
Tax filing status for FY 2018 – 2019: Federal completed & MA tax filing due in November
Our September Board meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM
The next Board Meeting will be held October 13th at 7:30 PM as an online meeting