SCNA Board 6/9/20 


Gabe Ciociola, Jen Hagar, Milo Martinez, Erin Murphy, Jenn Santo

The meeting was called to order at 7:30.

President’s Report

Community Common clean up organized by SCNA with City occurred on 6/13. Update: Success with great crew of volunteers & great support by Ray of DPS. 

Next Preservation Partners to occur in June.  Erin will attend as SCNA representative.

NIAC meeting held on June 10thvia Zoom.  Status: Dennis distributed minutes.

City Updates & Other Activities from Non-City Entities Impacting Common:

  • Non-City consultant Halvorson preparing Common “Conditions” vs “Master Plan”.
  • Commissioners seek input when plan delivered to City.
  • Non-City consultant Davey Group doing Common tree inventory.  Status: Tree Commission & City Arborist have requested review of findings & recommendations. 
  • Non-City consultant Irrigation Consulting planning to examine irrigation. Status:input needed.

National Park Services: Possibly expanding boundaries & name of current Salem Maritime Park.  Waiting for details to be shared.  No change.

Common Updates & Issues

Common Fence Restoration. Moving ahead with sections by Hawthorne and Washington Square East removed & being restored by DeAngelis.  Status: Overall project on track targeting 6/18 installation.  Other sections to be undertaken in 2021.

Bandstand Restoration. This project started on schedule the week of March 16th.

  • Phase 1 now completed including excavation, new concrete surfaces, new drainage & landscaping as well as bulkhead enhancements.
  • Protective fence to be removed & fully reopening will happen on July 1st.
  • Request for new painted plywood prior to windows install in Phase 2.
  • Phase 2 if funded will occur in fall of 2021.

Common Illumination. Milo, as member of Historic Commission, in discussion with Patti (Preservation) about all aspects: lighting, lanterns & eventually lampposts.  Historic Commission to pursue involvement with non-City consultant Lumen Lighting on their study and hold public hearings on new lantern types and other decisions.  Status: unchanged.

No SmokingSigns. Per DPS, 3 signs are on order for Common and first installation will be at playground with a July target date. Status: unchanged.

Playground.  New accessible equipment now added & underlying surfaces upgraded.  Remaining issue is blacktop by BB court.  Status: Playground & BB court now open.


  • Crosswalk painting on all Common crosswalks requested from DPS.  Status: On list for July.
  • Request for new stop sign at WSE/Andrew intersection to Councilor Madore.  Unchanged.
  • Lawnmowing and irrigation system turn on well underway.
  • Damaged tree removed & new tree planted by Arborist.  2 new trees planted by playground.
Sleeping on Common. This has become an issue again. City says contact CIU part of SPD.


4th of July Reading of the Declaration of Independence cancelled. Suggestion of Facebook Live reading. Status: Lynn to discuss with Hannah Diozzi & Ellen T.

Concerts/Movies.  Concerts Status: Summer concerts put off for 2020. Milo following up on holiday concert contract.  Movies Status: Will be planned for July & possibly August.

October/Halloween. SCNA Kid Fest on the Common – virus dependent on happening. Status: Milo to contact EJ of Fiesta Shows.


34 memberships in total which includes 9 families & 2 businesses. Update: Jane added Spire Investments & sent renewal reminders to other businesses.


Board in favor of offering e-commerce on our website in the form of t-shirts, etc. Milo designed SCNA t-shirts.  Status: Milo follow-up.  Interest expressed by clean-up crew.


Jen did a nice job on May NL with info on Playground upgrade; Common Clean Sweep; Bandstand re-opening; 4thof July cancellation; and a feature on Jenn – thanks!

Washington Arch Restoration:

  • Erin shared Makers Guild rendering of completed Arch. Looks great! – thanks Erin!
    • Makers Guild to become SCNA biz partner & remaining $250 to be paid.
  • Erin to share rendering with Patti (Preservation), Ray (DPS) & Bob Monk (PEM).
  • Erin connected with Ray of DPS & they will plan the brick pad for new fiscal year.
  • Erin has assembled an action plan which she shared at our meeting – comments needed.
  • Gabe reached out to Waters & Brown about donating paint.
    • Status: Per W&B, Gabe to contact Benjamin Moore directly.
  • Gabe, Milo & Erin to update the original Arch submission for Historical Commission review.
  • Follow-up with PEM regarding their participation. Erin recommends contacting them now.
  • Explanatory sign put on hold to allow linkage of text & images to eventual restoration.

Treasurer’s report

Total Funds: $23,433.94

  • Savings:          $3,008.50
  • Arch Fund:      $9,749.42
  • Checking:        $10,676.02

Incoming Revenue: $65

  • Memberships: $65

Incurred Expenses: $250.00

  • The Makers Guild for Arch Rendering: $250.00 (check #1563)/$250 remaining to be paid

Anticipated Expenses

  • Q3 2020
    • Movie Nights: $100; Yard Sale: $200; Lawn Party: $1,600
  • Q4 2020
    • Kids Fest: $200; Holiday Concert: $850

Our June Board meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM

Next meeting scheduled for July 14th at 7:30 PM hopefully in person.