SCNA Board 6/9/20
Gabe Ciociola, Jen Hagar, Milo Martinez, Erin Murphy, Jenn Santo
The meeting was called to order at 7:30.
Community Common clean up organized by SCNA with City occurred on 6/13. Update: Success with great crew of volunteers & great support by Ray of DPS.
Next Preservation Partners to occur in June. Erin will attend as SCNA representative.
NIAC meeting held on June 10thvia Zoom. Status: Dennis distributed minutes.
City Updates & Other Activities from Non-City Entities Impacting Common:
- Non-City consultant Halvorson preparing Common “Conditions” vs “Master Plan”.
- Commissioners seek input when plan delivered to City.
- Non-City consultant Davey Group doing Common tree inventory. Status: Tree Commission & City Arborist have requested review of findings & recommendations.
- Non-City consultant Irrigation Consulting planning to examine irrigation. Status:input needed.
National Park Services: Possibly expanding boundaries & name of current Salem Maritime Park. Waiting for details to be shared. No change.
Common Updates & Issues
Common Fence Restoration. Moving ahead with sections by Hawthorne and Washington Square East removed & being restored by DeAngelis. Status: Overall project on track targeting 6/18 installation. Other sections to be undertaken in 2021.
Bandstand Restoration. This project started on schedule the week of March 16th.
- Phase 1 now completed including excavation, new concrete surfaces, new drainage & landscaping as well as bulkhead enhancements.
- Protective fence to be removed & fully reopening will happen on July 1st.
- Request for new painted plywood prior to windows install in Phase 2.
- Phase 2 if funded will occur in fall of 2021.
Common Illumination. Milo, as member of Historic Commission, in discussion with Patti (Preservation) about all aspects: lighting, lanterns & eventually lampposts. Historic Commission to pursue involvement with non-City consultant Lumen Lighting on their study and hold public hearings on new lantern types and other decisions. Status: unchanged.
No SmokingSigns. Per DPS, 3 signs are on order for Common and first installation will be at playground with a July target date. Status: unchanged.
Playground. New accessible equipment now added & underlying surfaces upgraded. Remaining issue is blacktop by BB court. Status: Playground & BB court now open.
- Crosswalk painting on all Common crosswalks requested from DPS. Status: On list for July.
- Request for new stop sign at WSE/Andrew intersection to Councilor Madore. Unchanged.
- Lawnmowing and irrigation system turn on well underway.
- Damaged tree removed & new tree planted by Arborist. 2 new trees planted by playground.
4th of July Reading of the Declaration of Independence cancelled. Suggestion of Facebook Live reading. Status: Lynn to discuss with Hannah Diozzi & Ellen T.
Concerts/Movies. Concerts Status: Summer concerts put off for 2020. Milo following up on holiday concert contract. Movies Status: Will be planned for July & possibly August.
October/Halloween. SCNA Kid Fest on the Common – virus dependent on happening. Status: Milo to contact EJ of Fiesta Shows.
34 memberships in total which includes 9 families & 2 businesses. Update: Jane added Spire Investments & sent renewal reminders to other businesses.
Board in favor of offering e-commerce on our website in the form of t-shirts, etc. Milo designed SCNA t-shirts. Status: Milo follow-up. Interest expressed by clean-up crew.
Jen did a nice job on May NL with info on Playground upgrade; Common Clean Sweep; Bandstand re-opening; 4thof July cancellation; and a feature on Jenn – thanks!
Washington Arch Restoration:
- Erin shared Makers Guild rendering of completed Arch. Looks great! – thanks Erin!
- Makers Guild to become SCNA biz partner & remaining $250 to be paid.
- Erin to share rendering with Patti (Preservation), Ray (DPS) & Bob Monk (PEM).
- Erin connected with Ray of DPS & they will plan the brick pad for new fiscal year.
- Erin has assembled an action plan which she shared at our meeting – comments needed.
- Gabe reached out to Waters & Brown about donating paint.
- Status: Per W&B, Gabe to contact Benjamin Moore directly.
- Gabe, Milo & Erin to update the original Arch submission for Historical Commission review.
- Follow-up with PEM regarding their participation. Erin recommends contacting them now.
- Explanatory sign put on hold to allow linkage of text & images to eventual restoration.
Total Funds: $23,433.94
- Savings: $3,008.50
- Arch Fund: $9,749.42
- Checking: $10,676.02
Incoming Revenue: $65
- Memberships: $65
Incurred Expenses: $250.00
- The Makers Guild for Arch Rendering: $250.00 (check #1563)/$250 remaining to be paid
- Q3 2020
- Movie Nights: $100; Yard Sale: $200; Lawn Party: $1,600
- Q4 2020
- Kids Fest: $200; Holiday Concert: $850
Our June Board meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM
Next meeting scheduled for July 14th at 7:30 PM hopefully in person.