SCNA Board 6/8/21
Present: Dennis, Erin, Gabe, Jen, Jenn, Jim & Milo
The meeting was called to order at 7:30.
- Guest: SCNA member Sue Formica (Traffic focus) joined us.
- Crosswalk painting largely done with exception of WSE/Andrews.
- 6 crosswalk stanchions on order & to be located at WSE/Andrews; Forrester/Playground; Winter, Mall & Oliver Streets.
- Dates needed: Playground reflector & rollout of planned WSN upgrades.
- Rerouting 1A via legislative action to Wash St/Bridge St extension raised
- Sue communicating with David K on speed bumps on side streets, etc.
- Accessibility: Curb cuts to be made at WSE/Briggs & WSE/Williams starting 6/14 & completing 6/25.
- NIAC meeting: 6/16/21 at 7 PM – speaker from Resilient Together
- Leadership: Erin officially resigned as she begins her family’s move from Salem. We all will miss her & wish her well. We thank Jim for stepping up.
Total Funds: $23,255
- Checking: $10,754
- Savings: $3,011
- Arch Fund: $9,490
- Washington Arch Sign Vendor 50% deposit ($578.50)
Common Updates & Issues
- Pathways: Restoration work by Aggregate & DPS done – looks great!
- Fence Restoration: 16 WSN sections removed for repair & reinstall in Nov
- Watercooler: Unit by Hawthorne now working at both levels. Thanks Katie!
- Playground: Replacement unit an improvement but new unit neede
- Swing & Surface Repairs: Jenn to follow up with DPS
- Not Approved Events: Park & Rec follow up on use (boot camps) & approval
- Arts Festival 6/4 -6/6: Well attended event but City pick up efforts lacking with debris across Common. Raised to Park & Rec & Creative Collective.
- Haunted Happenings: Extra trash, noise & parking support will be needed.
- Parks & Rec meeting with community requested but did not happen.
Events + Website
- Park & Rec meeting on 6/15 to approve upcoming events & Arch plan
- July 4 th Declaration of Independence reading at 10 on Bandstand:
- Mayor Driscoll will be joining us
- Reenactor Irene Axelrod to do reading
- SCNA to provide baked goods & coffee
- Salem Historical Society to also have a table
- Yard sale: July 10 th with 11 th as rain date led by Ray Buso & Gabe.
- TBD: Event flyer; table pricing; pickup after event
- Movies: Planning for two movies in both July & August. Dates: TBD
- Lawn Party: Targeting late August/early Sept. Jane looking for sponsor.
- Common Cleanup: Late Sept. or early Oct. Dates: TBD
- Kids Fun Festival: targeting last two weekends in October with Fiesta Shows
- Holiday Concert: 12/19 date confirmed with Bridge@211 & Concert Band
- Upcoming topics: Witch Museum interview; Ward 2 councilor candidate
profiles; schedule of events as well as Arch, Fence & other upgrades
Washington Arch and Preservation
- Essex Heritage. $2,000 grant paperwork done. Awaiting arrival of funds.
- Eagle & Carvings. Skylight Studios quote in. Erin to notify SS to contact Jim.
- Pannier Sign. City approved frame & text proof in review.
- PEM. Reignite promised collaboration around reproductions.
- Historic Commission. Approved 4/21 w/brick pad. Parks & Rec on 6/15.
- Bandstand Flowerbeds: Dominick P. working w/Jenna Ide on approval.
Next Board Meeting: July 13, 2021 at 7:30. Location: Outside we hope!