SCNA Board 9/14/21
Present: Gabe, Jane, Milo & Dennis
- Traffic: Gabe led 9/10 meeting with City & Ward 2 Councilor. Plans include striping bump-outs; constructed bump-outs; rubber speed bumps on cross streets & WS; “thermo” paint for crosswalks; new speed/crossing signs; stanchions.
- Plan to re-route 1A to Bridge St. Ext. supported by Bridge Street Assoc. & City.
- NIAC: Haunted Happenings 9/8 meeting with Fox, Talkowsky & Chief Miller related to increased use of Common to reduce congestion on Essex Street:
- Info: All events and updates can be found at www.hauntedhappenings.org
- Info booth to be set up on Common
- Vendors: Reduced from 150 to less than 70
- Vendor Parking: On weekends, WSN on Common side dedicated to vendors
- Trash: DPS on site every Saturday & Sunday until events end
- Closing Times: 9PM on Saturday/6PM on Sunday
- Noise: DPS & SPD to monitor frequently
- Traffic: Staff to open side streets & enforce traffic calming measures
- Parking: Parking enforcement particularly on vendors taking up neighborhood parking spaces as well as extra pedestrian safety steps
- Residents: Hang tags for October parking to be received in September
- Police: Dedicated presence on Common during events
- COVID: Mask Ambassadors return to City & Common for October
- NIAC: Next meeting 10/6/21.
- Participation: Need for additional active volunteers & Board members.
- Debate: League of WV/SCNA sponsored a successful Ward 2 debate held on 9/9.
Total Funds: $23,223
- Expenses $1,165
- Donations $195
Common Updates & Issues
- Events: Trash pick-up & yard work from DPS after events OK so far.
- Tree/Grass: Condition of Lawn deteriorating & needs to be addressed.
- Crime: Minimal so far on Common with homeless moving along fairly well.
- Upcoming Enhancements/Ongoing Issues:
- Benches: SHC approved 4 new ADA benches which have been installed.
- Fence Restoration: 16 WSN sections to be reinstalled – targeting Nov.8 th .
- Lighting: Milo involving all parties to get all fixtures/bulbs to be similar.
- Playground: Repairs to window an improvement but new unit needed.
- Swing & Surface Repairs: More new holes found – Jenn pursuing with DPS.
Events + Website
- Lawn Party on Sept. 12 th – great fun & well attended. Thanks Milo!
- Yard Sale on Sept. 19 th – well attended & received. Great job Gabe!
- Block party on Sept. 25 th – great event well received by all. Thanks Jane!
- Upcoming Events: Kids Fun Fest on Oct 23/24 & 30/31 from 11-5.
- Holiday Tree: Jenn to confirm donation with O’Donnell
- Great Sept newsletter sent on 9/22 focusing on events – thanks Jen!
Washington Arch and Preservation
- Essex Heritage. $2,000 grant paperwork done. Jim pursuing funds deposit.
- Jim represented SCNA at EH Annual Meeting on Sept. 9th
- Skylight Studios. Eagle & Carvings quote received.
- Pannier Sign. Sign approved & delivered to DPW. Installation targeting Nov.
- PEM. Reignite collaboration.
- Brick Pad/Landscaping. SHC approved 4/21. Per RJ Nov completion
- Salem TV. Arch Restoration discussion to be held in November.
- Bandstand Flowerbeds: Waiting feedback from Dominick P. & Jenna Ide.
Next Board Meeting: Oct. 12 th at 7:30. Location: TBD