SCNA Board 10/12/21
Present: Dennis, Gabe, Gary, Jane, Jen, Jim & Milo
- Traffic: Gabe led 9/10 meeting with City & Ward 2 Councilor. Plans include striping bump-outs; constructed bump-outs; rubber speed bumps on cross streets & WS; “thermo” paint for crosswalks; speed/crossing signs; replace stanchions.
- Request to re-route 1A to Bridge St. Ext. also supported by Bridge Street Assoc.
- NIAC: On 10/13, N. Downing gave overview of ARP $35M to Salem. Funds must be allocated by 2024 & spent by 2026. Public meeting to be held on 11/10.
- Participation: Need for additional active volunteers & Board members.
- Debates: SCNA not participating in additional W2 debate as first did the job.
- SCNA will sponsor – along with LWV & Chamber – debates for At Large & Mayor.
- Both at Hawthorne with At Large on 10/20 at 6:00 & Mayor on 10/26 at 5.
- Board attendees at each debate: At Large (Gabe & Jane); Mayor (Jenn & Dennis)
Total Funds: $22,171
- Checking: $9,365
- Savings: $3,012
- Arch: $9,794
- Expenses $785
- Bertram Thank You ($16)
- Arch Sign ($579)
- Block Party ($52)
- Beautification Flowers ($138)
- Donations $95: From Movie Nights
- SCNA Mass Taxes: Jane completing with accountant Hamlin.
- SCNA Insurance: Coverages being reviewed by Gabe & Dennis.
Common Updates & Issues
- Swing & Surface Repairs: 2 new holes found – following up with DPS.
- O’Donnell Funeral Home: City reviewing parking 100+ cars on weekends.
- Buskers. City reviewing ruling against licensing & background checks.
- Lawn repair: Plan needed for revitalization after big event such as HH.
- Upcoming Common Enhancements/Ongoing Issues:
- Benches: SHC approved 4 new ADA benches & relocation of others. Date?
- Fence Restoration: 16 WSN sections reinstall scheduled for Nov.8 th .
- Lighting: SHC requested City Electrician install similar fixtures/bulbs. Date?
- Haunted Happenings
- Info: All updates can be found at www.hauntedhappenings.org or booth
- Trash: DPS on site and frequent pickups appear to be working well
- Closing Times: 9PM on Saturday/6PM on Sunday
- Noise: DPS & SPD are monitoring frequently
- Parking/Traffic: Enforcement, side street access & towing proceeding
- Layout: Milo on spacing for Fiesta & other vendors w/City & Collective.
- Lawn repair: Plan needed for extensive revitalization after HH big event.
Events + Website
- Kids Fun Fest: On Oct 23/24 & 30/31 from 11-5. Volunteers needed.
- No bouncy houses but games & other activities agreed upon.
- No commercial partners but City Sustainability person will join us.
- Holiday Decorations: Jenn confirming tree/wreath donors as well as DPS.
- Holiday Concert: To be held at Bridge@211 on Sunday 12/19 at 3 PM.
- Jen to handle Food Pantry donations & bake sale – thanks Jen!
- Milo confirming concert band – thanks Milo!
- February 2022 Brunch: Jenn to confirm date with Hawthorne – thanks Jenn!
- Flyers: Needed for all events. Request Adele to create – thanks Adele!
- Newsletter: Debates; Witch Museum interview; Fun Fest reminder
Washington Arch and Preservation
- Essex Heritage. $2,000 grant paperwork done. Jim pursuing funds deposit.
- Jane provided receipts to Jim to close with EH.
- Skylight Studios. Eagle & Carvings quote received.
- Pannier Sign. Sign approved & delivered to DPW. Part of Nov installation.
- PEM. Reignite collaboration. Gabe assisting Jim in this effort.
- Brick Pad/Landscaping/Sign. SHC approved as well as Parks/Rec.
- Per DPS (Ray) Nov completion is being targeted.
- Salem TV. Recording of Arch Restoration project – targeting Nov/Dec.
- Bandstand Flowerbeds: Waiting feedback from Dominick P. & Jenna Ide.
Next Board Meeting: Nov. 9 th at 7:30. Tentative Location: Milo backyard.